SHARING LODGE AT MEDICINE EAGLE CAMP (Turn onto Lake Audy Road off of Hwy 10, then turn on 354, watch for camp signs on left, everyone responsible for their own camping or lodging arrangements)
1. Day 1 begins tomorrow in the morning with pipe ceremony (all pipes welcome), welcome from the camp grandmothers and begin building lodge
2. Day 2 sharing of knowledge will continue
3. Day 3 complete sharing and closing by noon
Please bring your zero waste bundles (cutlery, dish, cup, bowl, cloth napkin). Everyone washes their own dishes. If you have tools for the lodge – power saw, axes, weed whacker for the lodge building that we can use that would be great. Everyone is looking forward to seeing the members, Chiefs and Councils, Ikwewak Council, Elders Council, Land and Water Council, staff, helpers at this safe and respectful gathering.
BILL C-92, AN ACT RESPECTING FIRST NATIONS, INUIT AND METIS CHILDREN, YOUTH AND FAMILIES
1. Was passed and given Royal Assent by Canada on June 21, 2019
2. Require Governing Council meeting to obtain next steps.
3. Engagement meetings with the 9 Nations will be taking place starting July 10, 2019 to obtain feedback from the Nations regarding children, families, education and governance. Posters will be circulated.
ACFS & WRCFS
1. ACFS has tasked staff member Lynn Paul to work with the FNT2T Government & Ikwewak Council.
2. WRCFS has tasked staff member Laury Fontaine to work with the FNT2T Government & Ikwewak Council.
3. Meetings will be taking place in order to set out the workplan for this initiative.
1. Issued a statement on June 27, 2019 regarding restoring the ancestral children and family structure, matriarchal (female) role of women, addressing the epidemic of MMIWG.
2. The Ikwewak Council is hosting the Sharing Lodge and the Camp Grandmothers are leading the weekend gathering.
COMMUNITY WELL-BEING AND JURISDICTION INITIATIVES (CWJI)
1. This is a First Nation Child and Family Services Program administrated and controlled by Indigenous Services Canada (ISC)
2. Stephen Traynor presented on this program at the SCO Chiefs-in-Summit on CFS on June 11, 2019
3. 2018-2019 $18.7M was disbursed and 2019 budget has increased
MMIWG INQUIRY – FINAL REPORT – ISSUED JUNE 3, 2019
1. The report is under review and a summary will be provided once the information session is held in Dauphin near the end of July.
2. There may be funding available for the information sessions to be carried out with the 9 Nations as well.
3. A FNT2T commemorative gathering will be planned to take place this summer.
Last modified: July 13, 2019