Social Distancing is the only tool that is working right now. Signs that the Covid-19 “curve” may be flattening out in Manitoba, hopefully that trend continues. However, we must be smart about this. We must maintain this status-quo on more social distancing, more time apart from family, friends, co-workers and now everyone to wear mask in public. Seeing others without mask in public, especially when they are within your 6ft distance of your personal space is a potential threat of giving you the virus.
All people in public must have a mask for mouth/nose covering such as cloth covering. Just because you feel well does not mean you are not a carrier of Covid-19. People may be most infectious before showing symptoms. As a new saying goes “Act like you have the virus.”
Must wear a mask in situation where you are not able to maintain 6 ft “social distancing” outside your home.
- Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing or caring for someone with flu or cold symptoms.
- Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it, handle it, wash it and dispose of it properly.
- Before putting on a mask, clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Cover mouth and nose with mask and make sure there are no gaps between your face and the mask.
- Avoid touching the mask while using it; if you do, clean your hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
- Replace the mask with a new one as soon as it is damp and do not re-use single-use masks.
- To remove the mask: remove it from behind (do not touch the front of mask); discard immediately in a closed bin; clean hands with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
See Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA9CC-OfBV8
Our communities should be providing mask to all their citizens. How to make a mask is online.
THIS IS THE NEW NORM
Social Distancing, now Physical Distancing and wearing a mask will not be completely done until the country has a vaccine. Today, what the medical science timeline is starting to look like is this.
- Maintain Social Distancing with mask is now the normal until a vaccine is available to the general public (12 -18 Months). Stay home as much as possible.
- Limited gradual return to a new norm may come in July 1st. Medical experts and Government will determine this with public guidelines. They will continue monitor for a possible 2nd or even 3rd. Should this starts happening, back to restrictions immediately.
- Vaccine may be available in 8 months and will go to the following stages.
- Vaccine is developed. Usually this takes several years to properly develop.
- Does it work? Testing period.
- In early 2021 vaccines are given to emergency use to Medical Workers.
- Next spring, vaccine to the general public.
- We all return to a different World. I hope for the better.
We will all get through this together when we all work at it together.
Stay safe my Relatives!
Allen Sutherland /Waabishki Mazinazoot Mishtaatim
Government, First Nations in Treaty 2 Territory (FNiT2T)
Last modified: April 16, 2020