Dear Minister Blair and Minister Lametti;
RE: FNT2T Restorative Peacemaking
Our Government of FNT2T is a Nation-based collective that is reclaiming our sovereignty and self-determination. The treaty with the Crown has not been honoured or implemented properly by the Government of Canada. We are exercising our inherent right to govern our territory through our ‘Unfinished Treaty Business’ and RIRSD process.
We have developed the FNT2T Restorative Peacemaking Circles as an alternative to the current justice system. Restorative Peacemaking Circles will be created at each level supported by our Local Nations and FNT2T.
While we appreciate Canada’s assistance working through the creation of the foundation of our system, we have an immediate need for Canada to provide funding through the fiscal treaty process and responsibility.
We have organized the FNT2T Restorative Peacemaking process with the gathering of our Circles and capacity building. This includes the following;
- Anishinaabe Law Development to contemporize and implement laws in the Treaty 2 territory;
- Restore and build Local Nations and FNT2T traditional peacemaking systems that include:
- Restorative Peacemaking Circles;
- Wellbeing (healing) centres;
- Nation Safety;
- Search and rescue; and
- Establishing a system of keepers and helpers;
- Current administrative processes including parole, probation, diversion, post-sentencing alternatives to incarceration through wellbeing.
Please have your Senior Staff members connect with our Keepers to agree on funding at each level of the work plan and agree on a fiscal agreement. In order to support this process, we require funding immediately. We look forward to discussing this with you in the near future.
Nothing about us, without us,
Grand Chief Eugene Eastman
Chief O-Chi-Cha-Ko-Sipi Anishinaabe Nation
Government, First Nations in Treaty 2 Territory (FNT2T)
Last modified: July 15, 2020