Treaty 2 Territory – It is the responsibility of FNT2T, through the Nation Development Circle, to provide a good life, Minoo-Bi-Maadiziiwin, as was the intent of our ancestors who made Treaty. Prior to entering into Treaty, our Local Nations had Inherent Rights which included governance and management of our resources.
FNT2T works with Local Nations enhancing their governance structures and economic development activities so that they may begin to move away from the Indian Act. FNT2T aligns itself and takes direction from the Local Nations through FNT2T’s Regional Offices and Local Nation Helpers. FNT2T leads collective economic development activities through local and territorial laws that pertain to business and economic development.
Objectives of the Nation Development:
• Ancestral Law Development
• Governance Structures
• Planning, Management and Administration
• Local Nation Membership and FNT2T Membership
• Infrastructure and Housing
Objectives of Economic Development:
• Develop, create and implement economic opportunities
• Land, resources and water management
• Management of economic development trusts
• Management of the Treasury (a Board made up of CPAs from each Local Nation to manage financial accountability)
Our three areas under our Circle is:
Resources continue to be extracted in Treaty 2 Territory without the consent of the Local Nations and FNT2T.
The role of the Nation and Economic Development Circle is to support the member local Nations establish both a Territorial and a Nation specific governance structure that will support them to move beyond the Indian Act regime. To reach these objectives, the following is planned:
- Member Local Nation First Law (Constitution)
- FNT2T First Law (Constitution)
The process of development continues to be conducted with leadership, elders, nation members and the youth. Engagement sessions held locally and on a territory level with the intention to inform the people and receive recommendations for further development.
As this is an opportunity for the people to design their own governance structure, it is important to be involved and active. Please join us at these sessions and bring your recommendations!
The Law-making of Nation Development through the FNT2T Regional Office is working on:
- law Development – Local Nations and FNT2T Onankonehkawin (first law/constitution) and Ohnushsheewehwiin (secondary laws);
- coordination with Local Nation Helpers on yearly workplan development;
- communication which includes website development, blogging and posting of stories;
- engagement strategy with Local Nations and FNT2T including open houses, kitchen tables sessions, regional meetings;
- capacity building and training through the Life Long Learning Lodge;
- sovereignty workshops and sessions to bring FNT2T together;
- Nation Development training for Local Nation Helpers;
- continued training in constitutional development and law making;
- Comprehensive Nation Planning; and
- introduction of FNT2T Government to Local Nation agencies and service providers.
Darlene Woodhouse, Regional Office Pinaymootang – 204.638.3797 Ext 1010
Lana Racette, Special Projects Keeper – Pinaymootang 204.638.3797 Ext 1007
Scott Lynxleg, Regional Office Dauphin – 204.638.3797 Ext 1009
Last modified: July 17, 2020