Treaty 2 Territory – Our children are sacred and are born with Inherent Rights. They are the center of the circle of life. It is the responsibility of all of us to ensure children are nurtured and protected so that they can be balanced and healthy while carrying out their life purpose.
It is estimated 4,500 children from the Treaty 2 Territory are currently separated from their families and/or Local Nation. The current situation is a result of sustained systemic colonization practices by Canada. Canada delegated responsibility for child and family services to the Provinces for our children without our consent. The impact on families and Local Nations is beyond crisis proportions. Under the current system child and family services has become a lucrative business.
The current Provincial child and family services model is an apprehension-based funding model which:
- violates the rights of children and parents;
- negatively impacts the collective Local Nations;
- scrutinizes and lacks support for kinship care;
- provides more rights to foster parents then natural parents;
- separates families; and
- results in:
- perpetual Provincial child and family services involvement;
- aging out;
- gangs and gang related activities;
- neglect; and
Child apprehension and separation from family must be eliminated. The inherent jurisdiction, the creator given right to look after our family, always sits with the Local Nations to ensure the child remains in a safe environment within the Local Nation.
FNT2T is assisting Local Nations with restoring jurisdiction over their children and families in a culturally appropriate manner that enhances the preservation of identity, culture, language, and ways of being. FNT2T will work with all current agencies and governments to ensure that the child’s well-being is the priority in any arrangement or transition.
Objectives of the Children, Families And Nation Circle:
- Assist Local Nations and Local Nation Membership to establish effective support including advocacy and system navigation
- Assist with the restoration, transition and implementation of Local Nations’ and FNT2T’s laws and infrastructure
- Replace the existing child welfare system through the creation of wellbeing centres
- Elimination of child apprehension and separation from family, Local Nations and the Treaty 2 Territory
- Assist Local Nations with structural development
- Assist Local Nations with capacity development
- Establish relationships and agreements with other governments and agencies
- Assist with the improvement of wellbeing of all Local Nation Membership
As we carry out the objectives in restoring our wellbeing ancestral history and laws will be pursued.
FNT2T submitted a letter and work plan to Indigenous Services Canada on March 23, 2020, seeking to take over child and family services for the Local Nations under An Act Respecting First Nations, Inuit and Métis Children, Youth and Families (C-92). The work plan seeks to replace the entire Provincial child welfare system.
The Children, Families and Nation Circle is working on:
- taking control of child and family services;
- Children, Families and Nation law;
- engagement sessions on law development;
- engaging Canada and the Provinces for a coordination and acknowledgement agreement in applying C-92; and
- establishment of Wellbeing Centres in Local Nations and in the Treaty 2 Territory.
- 2019_08_07_001_Resolution Transformation on FNT2T Governance Passed
- 2019_08_07_002_Resolution Lateral Violence:Kindness Passed
- 2019_08_07_006_Children, Families & Nation Wellbeing Restoration of Jurisdiction and Law Development Passed
- 2019_08_07_007_Transition into Regional Offices for the FNT2T Government Passed
- 2019-08-27-008 – Grand Council 2019 Lake Manitoba
Time is ticking Canada and Minister Marc Miller.
Last modified: July 31, 2020