Treaty 2 Territory – Life Long Learning for the Anishinaabek means providing education from birth. Resources provided by Canada fail to meet the Anishinaabek Inherent Right to Life Long Learning.
Every Local Nation Member child from Treaty 2 Territory is born with the Inherent Right to their ancestral knowledge, culture, and language. Their rights have not been met in the current Provincial educational system, which focuses primarily on the delivery of mainstream settler education. Research has clearly found that Indigenous student graduation rates dramatically increase when they are immersed in their ancestral identity and language.
K-12 education within the lands of the Local Nations is provided inadequately and inconsistently by Canada for Local Nations’ children and youth. The Local Nations and FNT2T no longer wish to leave the education of its people to other jurisdictions and settler governments.
FNT2T is assisting Local Nations in restoring jurisdiction over education. FNT2T knows that Canada has a duty and responsibility to support the Local Nations and FNT2T in restoring the local and territorial Life Long Learning.
Objectives of Life Long Learning:
- Ancestral Law Development within Treaty 2 Territory
- Control over and creation of school houses
- Implementing Life Long Learning
FNT2T has an overall strategic plan on Life Long Learning. Following this plan FNT2T is:
- Unifying our Local Nation schools through new school system (2014 Mandate)
- virtual Anishinaabemowin (language) teaching;
- curriculum development for use by Local Nations and other education institutions, including a treaty learning kit;
- Treaty 2 history book to be used in the schools;
- History teaching – coordination with provincial school divisions and Treaty Commissioner offices;
- establishing an Anishinaabemowin K-4 school for Local Nation Members in Dauphin;
- continuing development of FNT2T and Local Nations laws; and
- seeking funding support for infrastructure of the established Life Long Learning Lodge.
Portfolio/Office – Chief Wayne Desjarlais, Ebb and Flow First Nation
LLL Committee – Barry Bone, Chair Keeseekoowenin Ojibway Nation
Donna Beyer, LLL Keeper – 204.638.3797 Ext 1006
Allen Sutherland, LLL Lodge Keeper – 204.638.3797 Ext 1006
Cayleen Mathews, LLL Research Helper – 204.768.3492
Darlene Woodhouse, Regional Office Pinaymootang – 204.638.3797 Ext 1008
Scott Lynxleg, Regional Office Dauphin – 204.638.3797 Ext 1009
Last modified: July 31, 2020