Children, Families and Nation
Our children are sacred and are born with Inherent Rights. They are the center of the circle of life. It is the responsibility of all of us to ensure children are nurtured and protected so that they can be balanced and healthy while carrying out their life purpose.
It is estimated 4,500 children from the Treaty 2 Territory are currently separated from their families and/or Local Nation. The current situation is a result of sustained systemic colonization practices by Canada. Canada delegated responsibility for child and family services to the Provinces for our children without our consent. The impact on families and Local Nations is beyond crisis proportions. Under the current systemchild and family services has become a lucrative business.
The current Provincial child and family services model is an apprehension-based funding model which:
• violates the rights of children and parents;
• negatively impacts the collective Local Nations;
• scrutinizes and lacks support for kinship care;
• provides more rights to foster parents then natural parents;
• separates families; and
• results in:
o perpetual Provincial child and family services involvement;
o aging out;
o gangs and gang related activities;
o neglect; and
Child apprehension and separation from family must be eliminated. The inherent jurisdiction, the creator given right to look after our family, always sits with the Local Nations to ensure the child remains in a safe environment within the Local Nation.
FNT2T is assisting Local Nations with restoring jurisdiction over their children and families in a culturally appropriate manner that enhances the preservation of identity, culture, language, and ways of being. FNT2T will work with all current agencies and governments to ensure that the child’s well-being is the priority in any arrangement or transition.
Objectives of the Children, Families and Nation Circle:
• Assist Local Nations and Local Nation Membership to establish effective support including advocacy and system navigation
• Assist with the restoration, transition and implementation of Local Nations’ and FNT2T’s laws and infrastructure
• Replace the existing child welfare system through the creation of well-being centres
• Elimination of child apprehension and separation from family, Local Nations and the Treaty 2 Territory
• Assist Local Nations with structural development
• Assist Local Nations with capacity development
• Establish relationships and agreements with other governments and agencies
• Assist with the improvement of well-being of all Local Nation Membership
As we carry out the objectives in restoring our well-being ancestral history and laws will be pursued.
Governing Council Portfolio – Chief Cameron Catcheway, Skownan Anishinaabe Nation
Allen Sutherland, Operations Keeper – 204.638.3797 Ext 1006
Darlene Woodhouse, Regional Office Pinaymootang – 204.638.3797 Ext 1010
Scott Lynxleg, Regional Office Dauphin – 204.638.3797 Ext 1009
Update: 26 June 2020