Natural World – Protection Report
Portfolio – Chief Cameron Catcheway, Skownan
Land, Water and Resource Council – Chair Darren Mousseau, Ebb and Flow
Staff Support – Joseph Maud, Director 204.638.3797 Ext 1004 Email: Joseph.email@example.com
Our Protection Report
- The Care and Protection of the Natural World has been very busy the past few months protecting the Treaty 2 Territory;
- Coordinated meetings and Flag presentations to RM’s of Grahamdale and West Interlake;
- Continued monitoring CN Derailment at St Lazare including a site visit;
- Continued communicating with CN Staff on Partnership, ie purchase of gravel;
- Along with other staff prepared Bill C-68 presentation;
- Placed Invasive Species signage at various waterbodies in Treaty 2 Territory;
- Distributed postcards on releasing 45-70 cm fish during spawning season;
- Partnered with Turtle River Watershed on a Biomass Project employing 4 resource Technicians for 18 days.
- Creation of new Secretariat;
- Creation of 5 New Coalitions to Protect territory;
- Continued work on Dauphin Lake Management Plan;
- Protected sites such as Thunderbird Nest at Narrows;
- Creating Conservation Program – Partnership with Manitoba;
- Protection of Duck Mountains – Coalition created with First Nations with Interest;
- Creel Census and Fish Hatchery Management continues;
- Working on Moose Management planning;
- LP’s Licence review with Coalition of First Nations with Interest in Duck Mountains along with Treaty 2;
- Overall Water strategy and protection of all lakes and waters in the Territory.
Trespassing in Treaty 2 Territory:
Province of Manitoba; Lands taken up for Immigration and Settlement require compensation.
Manitoba Hydro: Bipole 3 no environmental monitoring, trespassing through lands without compensation. $30 million lost revenue and contracts Phase 2/3. Invoices continue to be sent.
Government of Canada through CEAA – An environmental licence has been submitted by the Province of Manitoba to Canada; they are reviewing without consultation and us their Treaty partner at the same level – bypassing the FNT2T Government, clear violation of the Treaty.
Province of Manitoba; Birtle Transmission line – full breach no consultation, accommodating and prior consent.