Children, Families and Nation
Treaty 2 Territory – Our children are sacred and are born with Inherent Rights. They are the center of the circle of life. It is the responsibility of all of us to ensure children are nurtured and protected so that they can be balanced and healthy while carrying out their life purpose.
It is estimated 4,500 children from the Treaty 2 Territory are currently separated from their families and/or Local Nation. The current situation is a result of sustained systemic colonization practices by Canada. Canada delegated responsibility for child and family services to the Provinces for our children without our consent. The impact on families and Local Nations is beyond crisis proportions. Under the current system child and family services has become a lucrative business.
The current Provincial child and family services model is an apprehension-based funding model which:
- violates the rights of children and parents;
- negatively impacts the collective Local Nations;
- scrutinizes and lacks support for kinship care;
- provides more rights to foster parents then natural parents;
- separates families; and
- results in:
- perpetual Provincial child and family services involvement;
- aging out;
- gangs and gang related activities;
- neglect; and
Child apprehension and separation from family must be eliminated. The inherent jurisdiction, the creator given right to look after our family, always sits with the Local Nations to ensure the child remains in a safe environment within the Local Nation.
FNT2T is assisting Local Nations with restoring jurisdiction over their children and families in a culturally appropriate manner that enhances the preservation of identity, culture, language, and ways of being. FNT2T will work with all current agencies and governments to ensure that the child’s well-being is the priority in any arrangement or transition.
Objectives of the Children, Families and Nation Circle:
- Assist Local Nations and Local Nation Membership to establish effective support including advocacy and system navigation
- Assist with the restoration, transition and implementation of Local Nations’ and FNT2T’s laws and infrastructure
- Replace the existing child welfare system through the creation of wellbeing centres
- Elimination of child apprehension and separation from family, Local Nations and the Treaty 2 Territory
- Assist Local Nations with structural development
- Assist Local Nations with capacity development
- Establish relationships and agreements with other governments and agencies
- Assist with the improvement of wellbeing of all Local Nation Membership
As we carry out the objectives in restoring our wellbeing ancestral history and laws will be pursued.
FNT2T gave notice to Canada on March 23, 2020, seeking to take over child and family services for the Local Nations under An Act Respecting First Nations, Inuit and Métis Children, Youth and Families (C-92). The work plan seeks to replace the entire Provincial child welfare system, Canada and its provinces have until March 24, 2021 to agree on a coordination agreement.
FNT2T Children, Families and Nation Circle has an overall strategic plan which is:
- taking control of child and family services;
- Children, Families and Nation law;
- engagement sessions on law development;
- engaging Canada and the Provinces for a coordination and acknowledgement agreement in applying C-92; and
- establishment of Wellbeing Centres in Local Nations and in the Treaty 2 Territory.
The Local Nations and FNT2T would like to enter into an agreement with Canada to collaborate and support the objectives of FNT2T’s Children, Families and Nation Circle. It is the intent of FN2T2 to have child and family services be added to the self-governing agreement.
Governing Council Portfolio – Chief Cameron Catcheway, Skownan Anishinaabe Nation
Ray Mousseau, Operations Keeper – 204.638.3797 Ext 1002 Direct Line: 431.977.0617
Marlene Davis, Communications Keeper – 204.638.3797 Ext 1007 Direct Line: (431) 977.0676
Darlene Woodhouse, Regional Office Pinaymootang – 204.638.3797 Ext 1010
Scott Lynxleg, Regional Office Dauphin – 204.638.3797 Ext 1009
Allen Sutherland, Lodge Keeper – 204.638.3797 Ext 1006
Renee McGurry, Development Keeper – 204.638.3797 Ext 1006
Update: 23 December 2020