Nation and Economic Development
Treaty 2 Territory – Prior to entering into Treaty, our Local Nations had Inherent Rights which included governance and management of our resources.
FNT2T works with Local Nations enhancing their governance structures and economic development activities so that they may begin to move away from the Indian Act. FNT2T aligns itself and takes direction from the Local Nations through FNT2T’s Regional Offices and Local Nation Helpers. FNT2T leads collective economic development activities through local and territorial laws that pertain to business and economic development.
It is the responsibility of FNT2T, through the Nation Development Circle, to provide a good life, minoo-bi-maadiziiwin, as was the intent of our ancestors who made Treaty.
Objectives of the Nation Development:
- Ancestral Law Development
- Governance Structures
- Planning, Management and Administration
- Local Nation Membership and FNT2T Membership
- Infrastructure and Housing
The above objectives, with the exception of infrastructure and housing, is included in a governance and recognition.
The Law-making of Nation Development through the FNT2T Regional Office is working on:
- law Development – Local Nations and FNT2T Onankonehkawin (first law/constitution) and Ohnushsheewehwiin (secondary laws);
- coordination with Local Nation Helpers on yearly workplan development;
- communication which includes website development, blogging and posting of stories;
- engagement strategy with Local Nations and FNT2T including open houses, kitchen tables sessions, regional meetings;
- capacity building and training through the Life Long Learning Lodge;
- sovereignty workshops and sessions to bring FNT2T together;
- Nation Development training for Local Nation Helpers;
- continued training in constitutional development and law making;
- Nation Planning; and
- introduction of FNT2T Government to Local Nation agencies and service providers.
Objectives of Economic Development:
- Develop, create and implement economic opportunities
- Land, resources and water management
- Management of economic development trusts
- Management of the Treasury (a Board made up of CPAs from each Local Nation to manage financial accountability)
Resources continue to be extracted in Treaty 2 Territory without the consent of the Local Nations and FNT2T.
In the restoration of economic self-sufficiency, Local Nations and FNT2T are not opposed to development and want to prosper.
Ray Mousseau, Operations Keeper – 204.638.3797 Ext 1002 Direct Line: 431.977.0617
Marlene Davis, Communications Keeper – 204.638.3797 Ext 1007 Direct Line: (431) 977.0676
Darlene Woodhouse, Keeper Regional Office Pinaymootang – 204.638.3797 Ext 1010
Scott Lynxleg, Keeper Regional Office Dauphin – 204.638.3797 Ext 1009
Allen Sutherland, Lodge Keeper – 204.638.3797 Ext 1006
Renee McGurry, Development Keeper – 204.638.3797 Ext 1006
Last Update: 23 December 2020